Rediscovering New York History and Culture

Date:                    Sept. 20, 2000

Memo to:      Members of Long Island historical
repositories,archivists,                  historians, museum curators

Re:            Rediscovering New York History and Culture

From:       Virginia Antonucci, Regional Archivist
                 Long Island Library Resources Council
                 Documentary Heritage Program

New York State Historical Records Advisory Board  (SHRAB) will be
holding a meeting at Town Hall- 100 Main Street, Huntington,  New York,
at 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 on October 4, 2000. A SHRAB representative will
discuss the Rediscovering New York History & Culture initiative which is
an effort to preserve vanishing history resources of all New Yorkers.

We need your help to mobilize your community leaders to ask the Governor
to include $7 million for Rediscovering New York History and Culture in
his annual budget for the State Education Department.

This money will mean grants to help your community archives, museums,
and historical societies.

We need this money to preserve the vanishing history resources of, and
important to, all New Yorkers.

We need this money to protect history resources that are in the
safekeeping of some 3,000 cultural institutions throughout the state.

Despite the fact that we collectively preserve the memory of New York?s
diverse events, peoples, places, and cultures, our institutions rank
last in state funding to support this critical work.

We need you and your friends and colleagues to call, visit, or write to
the Governor and your local legislators in support of Rediscovering New
York History and Culture.

Tell them why your community archives, museums, and historical societies
are important.

Tell them that you and your colleagues in institutions throughout New
York deserve funding.

Tell them that you value the leadership and support of the State
Archives in the Office of Cultural Education.

Urge them to include $7 million this year for Rediscovering New York
History and Culture.

For additional information visit the New York State Archives website at
http://www.archives.nysed.gov/ or New York State Historical Records
Advisory Board website at http://www.nyshrab.org.