From: Simpson, Ethel C [mailto:esimpson@UARK.EDU]
Sent: 28 September, 2000 10:16 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Access to the Stacks

I believe in the advice of Jay Gould: Never complain, never explain. I live
by half of that motto.

I think it is a compliment to the users to act as if we know that THEY know
we are different from a department store or a public library.  That it's
taken for granted that only the staff can retrieve materials, something we
will gladly do for them. If they have to change their asusmptions, that is
part of doing research.

But it WOULD be nice if you had some sort of apparatus by which people
could determine what they are looking for. Nice for you too.

Ethel C. Simpson
Head, Archives and Manuscripts
Special Collections
University of Arkansas Libraries