From: Amie Wilson [mailto:amiewilson@HOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 10:20 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: archives/records management for religious non-profit?

Please excuse cross-postings.

I am the archivist for a young, but rapidly growing Catholic Archdiocese. We
have an archives but do not have any kind of records management. I'm trying
to determine if a records manangement system would be appropriate for us.
Currently, only two departments transfer records to the archives on any kind
of regular basis. Of this material, I don't think everything requires
permanent retention (which is what is currently being done).  On the other
hand, all the other departments don't send anything to the archives so I
have no idea if they are preserving anything.

I'm looking to see what others in similar circumstances are doing or have
done. Can anyone working for religious bodies or non-profit corporations
tell me if you have established (ie-written) records retention policies,
record transfer policies, and/or a centralized filing system?  And if so,
what size organization or population do you serve?  I'd also be interested
in any pros or cons about establishing such a system; particularly, why
should a non-profit organization spend its money this way?

My background is as an archivist, not a records manager. I am a one-person
shop and any help would be appreciated!

Amie Wilson
Archivist
Archdiocese of Atlanta