Multiple subject thesauri

Please respond directly to sharman@mdhs.org since I am not subscribed to
this list.  Thank you.

Currently our online catalog represents the books, serials, manuscripts,
and pamphlets in our collection.  A large project to develop finding
aids for many of our photo collections has just been completed.  We're
now ready to create MARC cataloging records for these collections.  The
librarian who will do this also has a graduate degree in art and would
like to use terms from LC's Thesaurus for Graphics Materials and
possibly the Art and Architecture Thesaurus when there isn't an
appropriate LC term.

I'm concerned about our subject authority file.  Our ILS (EOSI's Q
series) only has one subject authority file.  I've been talking to their
technical support people about present and future implications of having
our supposedly LC subject authority file include
non-LC terms.  According to our vendor, if we put the non-LC terms in
the 690 field, they wouldn't be added to the authority file, but you
could search them as a subject in the OPAC.  However, the library staff
is a little reluctant to go into a lot of local fields that won't be
picked up by a bibliographic utility.  (Part of the institutional
culture that would take too much time to explain.) We've just joined
OCLC and haven't figured out the implications there of various 6XX
fields.

We'd appreciate hearing from libraries supplementing LC with other
thesauri and how they handled authorities, subject searching, etc.
Thank you.

--
Susan E. Harman
Associate Director for Technical Services