Re: Demand for archivists and records managers in the21st century

Tom Anderson wrote:
As for the retirement of baby boomers, I wouldn't hold my breath.  According to
most statistics I've seen (sorry can't quote any off the top of my head) people
are staying in the workforce longer and longer (nothing wrong with that, of
course).  Especially in a career field such as archives and records managers
people can stay in the field far beyond the standard retirement age ).  It's not
unlike academe, the retirement age isn't so "standard" among professors, many of
whom continue ot teach well into their seventies (at least in my experience).
Folks,
Many variables to consider but if economics stay good opportunities should
grow.  First, workforce pool is dropping while requirement for college degree is
increasing.  Second, while US can import computer programmers probably few
trained records managers out there to import since Australians like Australia.
Third, health care better so people working longer which is good (see first).
Fourth, increased emphasis will be on managing electronic records so many
current RMs will need skills update.  However, most american companies reluctant
to pay for training so burden will fall on individuals to pay for their own
training or transfer costs to public somehow (see second above).  Fifth office
paper consumption still growing at 7-10 percent per year so will still need
paper based RM even though e-records growing much faster.  Finally, average US
IQ falling below average belt size so there is hope for us old duffers.  Dick
King, University of Arizona