Re: Formica in Exhibit Cases

Sharon:
I will be glad to summarize for the list later.

 From what I know so far, from my own research and the contribution of
others here, Formica is a laminate consisting of paper impregnated with
synthetic resin, consisting of melamine and formaldahyde, which is then
glued to particle board.  All of which tells me this stuff will outgas
something awful.  However, if the standard reaction to wood cabinets,
which many of us are stuck with, is to seal them with a brush applied
moisture-borne polyurethane*,  how different can Formica be with its
laminate over wood?

Heck if I know.  I will accept all free advice.  Arm-chair quarterbacks
continue to sling like Flutie!
Mark

*According to the NEDCC Preservation Manual

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law Library
Houston, TX