storing plaques

I recently posted a query to the list about storing plaques, and
mentioned the possibility of storing them in Jiffy bags. I realize
now, reading the responses, that Jiffy bags was not what I meant; what
I meant was the possibility of storing them in padded mailing
envelopes. So if anyone has any comments on that idea, please let me
know.

In the meantime, responses to my original question about how to store
plaques included:

*wrapping in acid-free tissue and placing in boxes.
Jiffy bags might collect moisture if you have an environment that
fluctuates
or is humid.

* place them vertically in a records storage box
separated by an inert foam material.  Those too large for the box
dimensions
were placed horizonally on a shelf cushioned by the same material.
purchased extra shelves so that the clearance between shelves was
shortened
to accomodate the space needed for the items.

*find an old 9-track tape storage rack for plaques. This is similar
to the old racks for holding LPs upright, but with larger slots. This
way you could stack the plaques upright and neatly on a shelf without
them bumping into each other. This also solves the awkwardness problem
when trying to stack plaques with raised areas.

*Try padding or wrapping them in cotton batting or layers of
quilted fabric if you need to stack or box them.  Or "interleaving "
them
with archival board will help

* have some of the smaller name
plates stored in Hollinger boxes with acid-free foam core spacers;
the
larger ones are stacked on shelving with the aforementioned foam
core
between each one.  Hardly anyone asks to see them.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive