Re: Film vs CD Revisited

In a message dated 12/5/00 11:00:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cwelch@CO.PINELLAS.FL.US writes:

<<<<My experience has been that many libraries and archives cannot afford to
maintain ideal conditions.  Acid-free materials, climate-controlled locked
vaults, specially trained technicians dressed in booties and lint-free
attire are simply beyond most budgets.>>>>

True, but while working in local archival organizations for much of my
career, we have been able to provide adequate, if not ideal, storage which
has been "good enough for business." (Though I have had a lab coat or two!)
Some of the original rolls of microfilm produced by these organizations in
the 1960's are still as legible today as the day they were initially
filmed, WITHOUT subsequent data migration or hardware upgrades I might add.

Suppose, for the sake of argument, you know that the documents you are
attempting to preserve are going to be exposed to much less than ideal
conditions.  Temperature ranges from -20 to +120 degrees F. Humidity
seasonally cycled between 10% and 100%.  In other words, the way most 100
year old doicuments have been preserved.

What present day technology would you choose.

Mike Csontos