509 East Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33756
(727) 464-3315 (Voice)
(727) 464-4951(Fax)>>> Mwcpc6@AOL.COM 12/05/00 10:52PM >>>
In a message dated 12/5/00 10:52PM,
Mwcpc6@AOL.COM writes:
> [...]

What present day technology would you choose. >>>>

Mike,

Sorry for the delay in answering; but I've been busy. My simple answer to your question is that I wouldn't convert anything in the example you propose. I say this for two reasons:

First, one of the primary reasons for the existence and implementation of an archival program is a recognized need for the provision of adequate environmental controls for the preservation of the records, information and material to be collected and maintained by the program. IF the organization was not going to provide and pay for at least a stable storage environment for the converted documents, then I would not recommend any conversion for PRESERVATION purposes. It would be an incredible waste of time and money. (Now, if the organization's purposes for conversion were for ease of access and distribution, that's another matter entirely.)

Second, (and again if your purpose for conversion is PRIMARILY preservation) why convert? As you stated in the example you gave, the current form seems resilient enough (evidenced by the fact that they are still in existence.) Arrange it, describe it and go on to the next task.

In closing, I know of only a very few geographical locations in the US which regularly produce the climatic range which you quote in your example. Much of my career has been spent in Florida, which has some pretty extreme conditions. However, that has not prevented any of the archival organizations I am aware of in this state from providing stable conditions that, if not ideal, do provide for the long term preservation of their holdings.

Again I emphasize that climatic control for security and preservation purposes are a NECESSARY REQUIREMENT for establishing anything resembling a formal archival program. Call it whatever you, you won't have an archives.