Re: Poster question

Good Day, Joanne:

Sorry, unmounting a paper object or document from foam core board is not
advisable, nor possible to do without damage.

Dry-mounting involves placement of a uniformly applied bonding agent, which
is exceedingly tough material, and is often further affixed with a heat
iron. That baby is probably fully one with its backing!

You could hang the poster if 1) you determine a location that already has
low-level UV lighting (avoiding exterior windows, halogens, incandescent
spotlights and especially fluorescent fixtures) and 2) if your present
lighting system looks like a problem, either secure/purchase anti-UV shields
for lights in proximity to the displayed print, or look into getting
UV-blocked glass for your framed poster. The latter option might be the
cheapest solution, but won't benefit the rest of your collections should you
ever wish to hang or display same.

For the good of all your archival materials in any exhibit space or
research/reading room, I urge you to look into getting UV-shields for all
lighting within such spaces. There are simple-to-apply anti-UV slipcovers
for fluorescent tubes, and glass nanti-UV shields that clip over tracklights
and similar fixtures which use halogen or incandescent floods and spots.
Cost might be an issue for your institution, but the application of such
products is well worth it for the overall good of your collections!

Gee -- I bet you thought asking such a simple question would get you a
simple reply!

Kevin (taking things lightly) Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives