Re: cell phone use in Archives Research Rooms

In RE Cell Phones & Pagers:  Absolutely NOT!

First, The National Archives and the Library of Congress Reading Rooms do not
permit cell phones or pages.  That is, in my view, the Gold Standard.

Secondly, we have even that problem in the Nave of Washington Cathedral.
During Pamela Harriman's State Funeral, some  male "mourner" was talking
loudly on a cell phone which rang during the Service. Whether it was while
The President of the United States was delivering the Official Eulogy, I do
not recall.

Incidentally, this is also the first season in which singers in the Cathedral
Choral Society have started showing up with ringing cell phones.  We will
probably ban next spring. It is destroying esprit de corps during breaks.
Last night a singer called someone during rehearsal to say:  "I have a ride
home."  Children call parents just because they can, not because the house is
on fire.

The other side of the coin is that as a Research Historian using LC and NARA
almost daily, I find absolutely no reason why I can't keep my phone in my
pocket and step outside into the lobby or on the Plaza to make a call.

Botton line:  BAN ringing cell phones and pagers and conversations thereon
immediately and completely.

My sister has been a family practice physicial for 20 years She is often on
call during concerts, plays, and church services.  When on call, she holds
the pager (set to "vibrate") in her hand.  When playing violin in the
symphony orchestra, she simply tapes the pager to her leg. If she, who has a
legitimate reason, can make unobtrustive arrangements, the rest of these
people most assuredly can.

Margaret Shannon
Curator, Cathedral Rare Book Library
Washington National Cathedral