Re: cell phone use in Archives Research Rooms

Thanks for the suggestions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Angelo [mailto:mangelo@INDSM.ORG]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 3:23 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: cell phone use in Archives Research Rooms

Our official policy, est. by me after a heated discourse with a
lawyer/researcher (he argued that MY office phone rings too, and I countered
with the question, "How would you feel if I sat by YOUR desk and took calls
all day?  Please remember that you're a guest here."), is to ban phones from
the reading room.  Shut it off and/or lock it in a locker in the foyer.  I
have the policy stated in a one-page library user info posted at the table
and I ask each of them to read it.  After 18 mos., I have not had a single
incident or argument (even with numerous legal researchers).  Admittedly, we
are a private institution and are the only shop in the mid-Atlantic carrying
certain materials -- they GOTTA be nice.
F. Michael Angelo
Library Director
Independence Seaport Museum
211 S. Columbus Blvd.