Re: Is it safe to freeze photos?

Hi Allan:

They are some black & white photos that I happened to find in one of our compact
shelves.  These photos were kept near some infested books.  The photos are in
pretty good shape and I have to examine them carefully again.  I raised the
question because I am concerned about the safety of freezing them if they are
really infested. I have frozen some of the infested books already.

Irene Wong

abg wrote:

> What type of photos do you have?
> Our film vault was built for motion picture film storage, but we have put
> some still photographs (fiber based) in deep cold storage - 0 degreesF - and
> have brought a few out when necessary w/o damage.  Our cold vault has a
> controlled RH of 30% and a staging area that runs at 55 deg F w/ a
> controlled RH of 30%.  I would not trust RC papers at that temp, nor have we
> put RC prints into that kind of extreme environment.
> Point is, the colder & dryer you can keep such materials, the better off you
> (and they) are.
> Allan Goodrich/Boston

Wong Suk Mei Irene
Assistant Librarian