Re: (FWD) NCC Washington Update, Vol 6, #45, December 21, 2000

As a school librarian, I teach reference skills by asking my students
to do a family tree. Then we research the geography, history and culture
of the places their ancestors hail from  This personalizes history in a way
just learning names and dates never can.  And it starts some kids on a
life long rewarding hobby researching the past!

Sharon Centanne
School Librarian and Webmaster.
Please see my genealogy tutorial at:
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/centans/genguide.html

Roy Webb wrote:

> . Do any of you folks know whether your states have
> > such requirements?
> >
> In Utah students are required to take a basic course in Utah history
> in the 4th grade; 5th grade is American history, 6th grade world
> history.  The cycle repeats, on a more advanced level, through
> middle and high school.  I remember the 4th grade part because
> my daughter had to do a report on one of the 27 counties in Utah,
> so I made her choose Uintah county, where I've lived and know a
> lot about.  But mostly I remember her arguing with me about Utah
> history!  Who's written the books?  Who's the archivist?  I kept
> reminding her, to no avail.  But it was fun and we both learned a lot.
>
> Roy Webb, C.A.
> Multimedia Archivist
> Special Collections
> J. Willard Marriott Library