Re: Congressional Contact

Joyce wrote:
" When certain letters came in which could not be answered by the usual form
letter response one of the staff (sometimes my son) had to write a real
reply.  I had learned a long time ago that senators and representatives do
not write personal responses because of the volume of mail each receives on
a daily basis."

Robert Caro's The Path to Power (vol 1 in his biography of LBJ) provides an
excellent sense of what occurred in congressional offices during the
thirties and forties. Caro wrote about LBJ's fanatical desire to get
written to LBJ's standard (he served as a congressional aide at that time)
and then presented to them to the Congressman for his signature.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia