Deteriorating newspaper clippings

Title: Deteriorating newspaper clippings

I have lots of file cabinets full of 'stuff,' including old newspaper clippings.  They're in various stages of deterioration.  What is the best way to do some low-key preservation (I'm anticipating some kind of major project to preserve this in the near future - meanwhile, I get lots of requests for certain files)?  Photocopying and then separately storing the original newsprint?  And if the newsprint is falling apart, is there a good way to attach it to a piece of paper for copying?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Juliane Schneider
Library, The College of Insurance
JSchneider@tci.edu