Re: Licensing fee for film

$50 per second actually seemed a little steep to me.  I am sure that some
fees are that high in the commercial world though.

For anyone wanting use film here, they must put the request in writing.  The
request must contain the following information:
Production Company Name
Contact Person
Collection from which Footage is Desired
Description of Footage Desired
Project Description
Expected Production Completion and Air Date
Title of Production

For Domestic Use we have a per minute cost of $200 with a minimum charge of
$150 and minimum use of 30 seconds

For Foreign Use we have a per minute cost of $300 with a minimum charge of
$200 and minimum use of 30 seconds.

We will have the film/video duplicated per the production companies
specifications by an agent chosen by the archives.

We will duplicate for viewing/evaluation copies.  Any evaluation copies made
will be accompanied by a memorandum that the company is required to sign
saying that the enclose footage is for evaluation use only.  Should they
wish to use the footage in the production they will contact us to work out
an agreement.

Payment of fees is due immediately upon receipt of invoice.

We NEVER lend film to a production company.

Please let me know if there are questions.
Roiann Baird wrote:

> Two months ago a fairly large documentary film collection
> (including all rights) was donated to us. A national cable network
> wants to use some of the footage for a sports documentary they
> wish to air. Since this is an entirely new situation for us, I am not
> quite sure what to charge for a licensing fee. I need to come up
> with a reproduction rights policy including a licensing fee
> PRONTO. Does $50 per second seem prohibitive? Does anyone
> know what other institutions that have moving image collections
> charge? Any advice would really be appreciated.
>
> Roiann M. Baird
> James A. Michener-Endowed Archivist
> James A. Michener Library
> University of Northern Colorado
> Greeley, CO 80639-0091

Miriam Meislik,MLS
Associate Archivist/
Photograph Curator
Archives of Industrial Society
400 North Lexington Avenue
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
(412)244-7075
(412)244-7077  fax
miriam@pitt.edu

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
--Steven Wright