identifying library censorship

I realize that this is just a wee bit off of the topic matter of this list,
but I thought the subscribers might be interested.

Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to mention that I have decided to
donate my 140,000 page FBI files collection to the National Security Archive
in Washington, DC for broad public use.

LIBRARY CENSORSHIP:  HOW TO IDENTIFY IT IN YOUR COMMUNITY
by Michael Ravnitzky , mikerav@ix.netcom.com

You can identify attempts to ban library books, and assess the success rate
of those attempts, by requesting under state data access laws:

the completed forms for reconsideration of library materials, along with the
final determination associated with each form.

Almost all libraries maintain such forms as a way of administering
complaints about items on their shelves.  Usually, such complaints, or
requests for reconsideration of library materials, are forwarded to a
library staff review committee.

Requesting these forms for the past couple of years will give you a good
sample look at the extent of book-banning and censorship efforts in your
community, at least with respect to the local library.

One would think that the libraries would be happy to cooperate in such a
laudible project by handing over what are usually considered public records
-- once the complainant name is redacted ---, but in my experience they
usually fight such requests for these records tooth and nail, every step of
the way.

Has anyone else done a similar project?