Re: Important Message-Upcoming Change in Reply Setting

> All this dither about unwanted messages: I direct all this listserv's
> messages to a separate folder and delete EVERYTHING once a month, knowing
> all the listserve's messages are available in the listserve's archives.

Actually, all of the list's messages are not available in the listserv's
archives.  On the list's webpage, there is a message regarding postings
removed from the Archives & Archivists Listserv archives.  None of the
postings from September 1999 week 4, October 1999 week 1, or November
1999 week 3 are available.  According to the message,

"A formal complaint of copyright infringement has been made by the
Chicago Tribune against specific postings to the Archives and Archivists
LISTSERV of "Records and Archives in the News." The Society of American
Archivists has determined that these specific postings should be removed
from the LISTSERV archives. Unfortunately, the LISTSERV software is
designed to prevent deletion of single posts from the LISTSERV archives;
therefore, all posts from the entire week of the allegedly infringing
posts   have been removed from the archives."

I might add that this decision was made without any discussion on the
list.  Did the committee investigate acquiring new software that could
delete single posts?  Were any other possibilities discussed?
Unfortunately, we don't know.

--

Andy Hempe