Re: Free Market Economics was

I'd like to support Rand Jimmerson's contention that management-related
issues for archivists are currently being taught in graduate schools. Here
at Simmons, we offer a two-credit Archives elective, " Establishing
Archives and Manuscripts Programs." that runs the management gamut, from
stragegic planning, to budgeting and facilities planning with some
grant-writing thrown in for good measure.  I am contemplating expanding it
to a four-credit course since there is so much content that an archivist (
or any other professional for that matter)  needs to know in order to feel
confident in the management arena.

I do agree with Kevin and Peter, however, that opportunities for
archivists to be exposed to management education should be more
widespread.  If Archivists are to impact their insititutions on
policy-making levels, then they need to know the basics of management
survival.

Jeannette

Jeannette A. Bastian, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Director of the Archives Program
300 The Fenway
Simmons College,
Boston, MA 02115

ph- (617)521-2808