Costs of conservation work

In article <3A76CDAC.2E939459@mailserv.mvlc.lib.ma.us>, on Tue, 30 Jan
2001 at 09:20:28, Louise Sandberg <URL: mailto:lsandberg@MAILSERV.MVLC.L
IB.MA.US> writes
>I had 7 panorama photos of some value.  I sent them out to Northeast
>Documents Conservation center where they were rehydrated and cleaned.
>It was very expensive ( some of them were in very poor shape).

I think that the question of expense sometimes underlies the
unwillingness of people to accept the standard answer to conservation
questions: "consult a conservator".

It may be that some people are being frightened off unnecessarily by the
high costs they expect would be incurred. Can anyone give a rough idea
of the costs of having a conservator do some of these simple jobs, such
as humidifying and unrolling documents, removing minor stains, repairing
minor tears, and so on?

Obviously each job is unique and would need to be seen before a price
could be fixed, but I think a rule of thumb would be very helpful and
might even lead to more professional conservation work being done than
is the case at the moment.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092