Re: Survey Results - mobility

One has to assume in archives, as in other fields, that the changing economy
over the last few years (up until recently, of course) meant that there is
less stigma in people changing jobs more frequently.  Given the employment
crunch, there's no reason to think archivists wouldn't take advantage of new
opportunities & (hopefully) higher pay & benefits like any other worker.

I heard, ironically less than two weeks before I gave notice at my last job,
that the highest turnover for employees is between 2 and 3 years of service
with the same employer (I was at 2 1/2 years).  That's the critical point
before employees become vested (at least in the private sector as a rule)
and, I suppose, the point at which they are evaluating their satisfaction
with their jobs.

We may not be well known, but we seem to be mainstream in this regard,
anyway.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021