Re: Survey Results - mobility

Steve Fisher wrote:
 To me one of the most interesting statistics was that over half of
those responding have been at their current position for less than four
years. Since only 22% of those responding have been in the profession for
less than four years, one could take from this that we are a highly
mobile bunch. I wonder how this compares with other fields.

Steve Fisher
University of Denver
--------------

Another interesting point to ponder is why we seem to be so mobile. Are we
attempting to find better paying positions? Is it the only way to move up in
this field? (How many institutions have a hierarchy of archivists?)

In other fields like, say, engineering - the only way to move up the pay
scale is to court other job options. Either the co. you work for will
negotiate your pay to keep you, or another co. will offer more to get you.
(Disclaimer: evidence not scientifically gathered, it's only from observing
relatives & friends shift jobs)

Any comments? :)
Bridgette - one of the newbies wondering what my career life will look like!
:)

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680