Re: Survey Results for "What is an archivist?"

As a newbie in this arena the general impression I've gotten toward the ACA
certification is that it is really only useful for those of us who don't
have master's degree's yet and are trying to get hired or for people who've
been in the profession for many years and never got a higher level degree
because while they were grad-school-minded there was no such degree and now
they want the paper to "prove their worth" to those unknowing and uncaring
admins who just look at the bottom line and the paper on the wall and not
the work accomplished.  My view stems from a few of the professional
archivists I've talked to privately and also from the fact that in order to
get the cert. you've got to become a member of ACA.  It's almost like it's a
membership exam more than a real professional certification.

Perhaps my perception is wrong about this (I kinda hope so) but if so, there
is a certain amount of cynicism toward the SAA and the "powers that be" that
needs to be overcome.

Tom Anderson; Collections
American Museum of Science and Energy
300 S. Tulane
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
(865) 576-3228 (Voice), (865) 576-6024 (Fax)
email: tanderson@amse.org

Thomas J. Wood wrote:

>>>[Professional Org. promotion of the profession and low ACA membership]
seem to indicate a surprisingly low level of confidence in the ability of
archival professional groups to promote our interests, and a low level of
participation in ACA certification.<<<