Re: Ethics of Copies

Erik & Colleagues:

A variant of this predicament occured twice over between my former employer
and 1) the Smithsonian; 2) the Allen County Museum in Ohio.

Two distinctive and immense collections were in need of preservation,
consisting of 1) rare locomotive technical drawings from a prominent
domestic locomotive manufacturer and 2) glass plate and film negatives from
a major railroad carbuilder. In both cases, the collections were so large as
to be unaffordable for any institution if left whole/intact.

My former employer and the two other institutions split the collections
roughly in half. All cooperators then prepared an itemized finding aid/union
list which was interchanged gratis. This way the public is able to research
from the collection as a whole, and each institution gains visibility and
promotes shared resources. Furthermore, each institution maintains its own
reproduction permits/standards and fee schedules (which are also appended to
the exchanged finding aids and periodically updated).

To my mind, this method seems preferable than the releasing of a collection
in whole or in part to what might be perceived as a "hostile" or competitive
entity, however noble the  new institution's purposes might be.

Perhaps the company town/mining museum authority could receive copies of a
limited number of plans and historic documents for exhibition purposes, with
a fair-use or restrictive-use covenant in place. In further exchange, the
new museum might do well to agree to a referral program whereby your
friend's collection is easily surveyed and accessed by researchers (perhaps
by intermediary or other discrete means).

My 2 cents worth...

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives