Re: Palm Software for Hobo Temp/RH Dataloggers

People interested in dataloggers might be interested in the following
announcement from Joan Brink in the Cornell Library's Preservation
Dept.  It describes our use of an Internet-accessible datalogger.  The big
plus I gather is that you don't need to visit them to get the data.  They
really came in handy on Christmas day when it was discovered (by someone 20
miles away) that the vault humidity was too low!
:

Peter Hirtle
Announcement
For a number of years the Department of Preservation and Conservation has
been monitoring the environment in Kroch, Olin, and the Annex, as well as
other buildings by request. Over the last few years we have been
exclusively using equipment developed by ACR Systems Inc. called
"dataloggers" which register temperature and relative humidity on a
continuing basis.  Data is downloaded from the datalogger into a laptop
computer then downloaded again into a computer to produce a continuing record.

A little over a year ago, I decided to look for a web based unit which
could accomplish the same procedure but with easier access to those staff
and personnel who might need immediate information, a feature not available
with the ACR dataloggers.  After much research by both my student and
myself, we were unable to find such a unit. Since my student is an
electrical engineering major, I asked him to investigate further and see if
we could find a company who might be willing to develop a new instrument to
perform the necessary functions and be accessible via the Internet. He
found the Pinnacle Company who worked with us to develop and build the
system for us. A prototype was built which we tested thoroughly, and
subsequently production units were built and offered for sale. The
Department now owns five of these units, which have the patented name
ezLoggers.

Information from Pinnacle Company is available at
http://www.pinnaclet.com/ez.htm
Also at that site is the operation manual for the unit for anyone interested.

To access the ezLoggers for each area I have provided the IP addresses.
Since the graphing is done in a bmp format, you will need to access these
addresses with Internet Explorer, not Netscape, as Netscape cannot read and
display the graphs correctly. If the graphs do not display enough
information for your needs, a copy of the history of readings can be
downloaded in tab delimited format and pulled up in Microsoft Excel for
viewing in graph format. For security reasons, I and a backup person are
the only people with complete access for manipulation and settings, but all
other data is available for viewing and downloading to anyone who might be
interested. I have the units set to sample temperature and relative
humidity every 30 minutes. Currently, as a final system check I am running
a number of the older ACR dataloggers parallel with the new ezLoggers. This
will only be done until the end of the month, after that, I will relocate
the ACR dataloggers to public areas in Olin Library which are not currently
monitored due to lack of equipment.

List of ezLoggers currently in use is:
http://128.253.220.61           Kroch Exhibit, Room 2B80
http://128.253.220.67           Kroch Reference, Room 2B50
http://128.253.220.66           Kroch Vault Room, 2B90
http://128.253.220.72           Kroch Mezzanine Vault, Room 1M75
http://128.253.125.221  Annex Library Graphics Lab, Room 103

(Mrs.) Joan M. Brink
Conservation Liaison & Network Administrator
Dept. of Preservation & Conservation
B32A John M. Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853