        From:   Kurilecz, Peter
[SMTP:peter.kurilecz@WOODSIDESUMMITGROUP.COM]
        Sent:   Tuesday, February 06, 2001 1:49 PM
        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
        Subject:        Re: Graduate schools

        >You also need to consider which aspects of archival work
        >that you wish to pursue.  For example, does your interest lie in
records
        >management or manuscripts?

        I would imagine that this would be the first question that you would
ask.
        Do you wish to work in records and information management sector or
in the
        archival field. Do you want to work on the front end or the back end
of the
        process (assuming that there is front and a back) or would you
rather be
        involved in the whole records continuum. Another question is "Do you
want to
        work in the private sector, academe/research or government?" Once
you have
        decided what you area you would like to work in then your choice of
programs
        is narrowed.

        >I'm coming from a liberal arts background and am scheduled to
graduate
        >in May 2002.

        The liberal arts background is great, but be sure to take some
courses in
        business management, systems analysis, marketing, etc. Recent
discussions on
        this list point out that these are areas that archivists/records
managers
        need in their work. To quote R.Stewart "If I knew then, what I know
now,
        when I was younger..." life would be different for sure, but I
wouldn't
        change my career.

        You might wish to explore this link especially the section on
        Colleges/Universities
        http://infomgmt.homestead.com/files/websites.htm

        (I do not like this "reply to sender" function, I prefer replying to
the
        list)

        Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
        Manager, Records Management Group
        Woodside Summit Group Inc
        Midlothian, Virginia
        Office: 804-744-1247 x23
        Fax: 804-744-4947
        mailto:peter.kurilecz@woodsidesummitgroup.com

        To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
listserv@listserv.muohio.edu