Researching collections databases

We are a growing nonprofit, community-based archives and I am trying to
decide whether to use Access or Filemaker to computerize our collections
database.  Currently it is in Microsoft Word (don't ask why).  We have about
400 archival collections, 2300 periodical titles, 400 oral histories,
vertical files, artifacts, and a small library of books.  I'd like to put all
of these formats on one database that we will post on the web for people to
search and will be available for on-site researchers.  Some of our finding
aides are already on-line with the Online Archive of California, CDL.

I have been following the recent discussion about Filemaker vs Access so I
understand the general differences between the two.  I've used Filemaker and
it certainly is easy.  What exactly can Access do that Filemaker can't?
Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of their Access database (without
the data, obviously) so I can play around with it?

Kim Klausner
Managing Archivist
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical Society
973 Market Street, #400
San Francisco, CA  94103
(415) 777-5455
kklausner@aol.com