Re: Watermarks for Photographs

Dear Curtis,
The weakness you cite:
Anyone with Adobe Photoshop and a lot of patience could remove
this type of watermark, so if high security is a priority then this will
not be what you need (what do you expect for $25?). But if you are looking
for a cheap way to provide enough of a watermark to stop casual re-use,
then I think this might just do the job.

                                        Curtis Lyons
                                        Special Collections & Archives
                                        Va. Commonwealth Univ.

is also found in the Digimark system at least as applied by Paintshop Pro, as well as what I have been able to figure out about Photoshop's capabilities in this area (limited, to be sure). By cutting, pasting and then saving as a different file type, the Digimark watermark disappears! I know it's supposed to be integrated and spread throughout the image file and I can't explain why this 'end around' works, but it does. I was most disappointed to discover this with help from our head IT guy. At this point, a watermark provides limited protection. Mounting JPEG images means that those who want a monitor quality image can rip us off, but those wanting to make publication quality print copies will have to come to us for TIFF files or other higher quality duplications.

Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State University