Re: Watermarks for Photographs

> Dear Curtis,
> The weakness you cite:
>
> > Anyone with Adobe Photoshop and a lot of patience could remove
> > this type of watermark, so if high security is a priority then this will
> > not be what you need (what do you expect for $25?). But if you are
> > looking for a cheap way to provide enough of a watermark to stop casual
> > re-use, then I think this might just do the job.

Actually, in some cases it wouldn't even require very much
patience; unless you put the watermark right over the image a la
the Dallas Public Library, as cited, you could crop it right out.  THe
important thing to me was not to have something that absolutely
could not be removed, but something that would indicate that we
had made our effort to prevent casual re-use.  It's like stamping
photocopies with a copyright notice stamp; it may not deter them
but it's your first line of defense against any charge that you were
givin' things away without thinking of that.

To clear up from yesterday, I realize Photoshop could put the mark
anywhere you wanted it; I think we did it because you could do it
as a batch function, and to be honest I didn't want to totally mar
the image with the mark right over the front.  I know that sounds
silly given what I said yesterday but that's what we did.  Or one of
my staff did, someone who's under 25 and therefore "knows all
about computers."

Actually I still think the best protection is not to post high
resolution images in the first place.  The lower-rez ones won't stop
web use but they will prevent printing.

An interesting discussion!  Thanks to all who've chimed in.

Roy "Still as usual I have my opinions" Webb

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library