Re: certification

As I recall, the only thing I had to do to get the NYS public librarian's certificate was prove to NYS that I had an MLS and send them some money, so the certificate is basically a way for NYS to earn money--it only proves that the person has an MLS, which a person could prove with their diploma, anyway. Although the only public library job I have had in NYS was a very part time one, I was not asked to produce this certificate for it or any other library job I have had, and I don't notice in the librarian ads that I see that it is required very often.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Kathleen M Delaney <kdelaney@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU> 02/20/01 03:04PM >>>
Not true. In New York State ALL public librarians must be certified in
addition to their MLS degrees. Certification is through the State
Department of Education. If a candidate has graduated from a Library
School Program in NYS, the name is often submitted by the School granting
the degree. However, the candidate still must make formal application with
proof of degree, resume or C.V. ...and the all important fee, before a
certificate and number is sent.