copyright question

All,

I realize copyright questions frequently come up on the list and while I
don't think I've read anything like my question, if I missed a recent,
relevant post, just refer me to the list archives!

We have a slide collection here and all the images were taken by our
researchers/scientists.  We received some slides of wild horses, from
someone outside the agency, that my supervisor would like to have.  I
contacted the man who gave us the slides, and he stated we can make copies
and use them.  I explained we'd mainly use them in slide lecture
presentations and if we wanted to publish them in any way I'd contact him.
He's to send me an e-mail stating we can use the images. My supervisor is
fine with the arrangement, yet I still feel a bit nervous and worried that
perhaps I need to do more.  Copyright issues tend to give me a headache and
I have several questions/concerns.  First, do I need to have him sign a
donor form or is his e-mail good enough in this instance?  We don't use
donor forms as our archive holds internally generated material, yet I could
devise one for such situations.  Second, I'm concerned about what may
happen when I'm long gone from this job!  I'll document all I do yet
without something more tangible than an e-mail, will this agreement hold
up?  Which actually brings me back to doing a donor form so perhaps I've
answered my own questions.  Has anyone encountered this situation?  If so,
what did you do?  Any profound thoughts or advice?  Perhaps I should just
take an aspirin and stop worrying!  You may reply off list.

Many thanks,
Nancy Freeman, Records Manager/Archivist
National Wildlife Research Center
4101 LaPorte Ave.
Fort Collins, CO  80521
(970) 266-6023