Forgive us "Poor Saps"

I would like to respond as someone who does not have an extensive
background and who benefits from the more basic questions.

I am a librarian/archivist (title provided my workplace) for a non-profit
research library associated with a historic house. I have my MLIS and I
worked as a graduate assistant in Special Collections. This job was
advertised as an entry-level job. It is not nor has it ever been what I
would consider entry-level. I realize now that the reason is the what they
were able to pay not the level of experience needed. Anyway this is my
first job out of graduate school. Yes, I have a degree but in reality it is
on the job experience. I learn a lot from some of the more basic questions
posed here. Not everyone is going to have years of experience, and Yes we
need a little help from time to time. Don't berate us for not always having
all of the answers. Every situation is different and sometimes it doesn't
matter how much experience you have.

For me it's nice to know others go through some of the same things that I
do. We don't want pity or to be called "poor saps". But a little respect
would be nice for those of us giving it the ol' college try in some
difficult situations.

Gwendolyn Green
Librarian/Archivist

Beauvoir, The Jefferson Davis Home and Presidential Library
2244 Beach Boulevard
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 388-9074
(228) 388-7082 - fax