Poor Saps....

I have to agree with Gwen on the archival training scenerio. I have a dual
degree in Library Science and history, and my MLIS coursework included
twelve hours in archival coursework, which included an archival
practicum. I also had the benefit having a fellowship at a historical
property and a
three month internship at Virginia Tech University. In my first
professional position, I serve as archivist for a small college, and I am
the only staff member of special collections, which makes me the source of
information for all "archival" topics. To be honest, I often benefit from
some of the "basic" questions posed on the listserv, and am not ashamed to
admit it. In reality, you often encounter things on the job in which you
are not an expert, and if you are in a "one person"  archives you have no
other professional to ask for advice. I would rather risk being labled as
a sap than make a mistake which could cause damage beyond repair to the
materials under my care.

Every archivist has to start somewhere, and although I have a solid
educational background, there are times when even the best of us needs
some advice.

And don't let Gwen fool you, she knows a lot  more than she lets on!

Reagan Grimsley
Archivist
Pikeville College Allara Library
rgrimsl@pc.edu