From: Ellee Louise Figi [mailto:ellee@WAM.UMD.EDU]
Sent: 20 March, 2001 8:33 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Forgive us "Poor Saps"

Okay, I too am going to leap into this discussion.  I understand the point
made by persons with years of experience that archives are something
complex & not to be taken lightly by the populous at large (the "how hard
can that be?!" approach).  However, in most cases archival and/or
manuscript collections are not taken as seriously as archivists see them
being.  I believe that this is largely because everyone has their own
personal papers collections and they usually don't see the ravages of time
and other destructive factors (pests, water, light, etc..) because of the
time frame they are dealing with.  This is not to say that they are right,
just that most people don't want to be told they are wrong.

I am also a graduate student working toward my MLS degree.  I have had
several part-time archival positions, but do I beleive that I have all the
preparation I need to perform a large-scale records appraisal on my
own?  NO!  These issues and some preservation issues are not necessarily
things that one can learn before going on the job and since the majority
of people in the archival profession are baby-boomers and will be retiring
soon, people like myself need a chance to be able to learn this kind of
stuff.  Microfilming was one 2.5 hour lecture in my preservation class -
does this prepare me to take on a $5,000 or larger microfilm project - no,
it does not.  I have the basic idea on what sources to consult, but all
those sources (including the Northeast Document Conservation
Center) instruct one to ask your colleagues to see what techniques,
vendors, consultants, etc.. have worked best for them.  If my
distinguished colleagues are going to look down on me and other newcomers
to the profession for asking questions they consider basic, then there is
little point in having this listserv and no future for the profession at
all.

Asking questions here IS part of our training and seeing what tone the
questions are answered in reflects on each of us and on the profession as
a whole.  Simple questions can also be informative for long-time
archivists since a lot has changed in the last 30 years (in the last
5!) with technology, of course, but preservation standards have also been
revised (think of all those laminating projects in the '60's).  I
understand what those of us who are concerned about defining our
profession as something distinct & specialized mean, I just think that we
can't jump to conclusions about the training and qualifications we have
when someone asks a "fundamental" question.

(okay, off my soapbox now!)

Ellee Figi
Graduate Student
University of Maryland