Re: Rain 3/19/01; The Lincoln U archives

So, is this room that Mr. Gibson works in really a "bland, windoless room"
full of "stacks of moldering files?"  Are the boxes he sifts through really
musty?  Or is the reporter simply trying to create an ambiance of the
stereotypically lonely, forgotten archivist?  I have visions of some poor
old black man in thick glasses who can barely move for arthritic joints.

I would respond directly to the journalist about his depiction of the
archive but as I've never been there I thought I might ask and see if he was
telling the truth before I went shooting my mouth off.

Tom Anderson; Collections
American Museum of Science and Energy
300 S. Tulane
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
(865) 576-3228 (Voice), (865) 576-6024 (Fax)

Philadelphia Inquirer 03/19/01
At Lincoln U., unearthing a trove of black history
http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/03/19/city/EARCHIVE19.htm

by Jonathan Gelb
LINCOLN UNIVERSITY - In a bland, windowless room at the nation's oldest
historically black college, amid stacks of moldering files and sheaves of
tattered papers, Ed Gibson makes history.
Literally. One of two archivists at Lincoln University, Gibson sifts
methodically through 65 musty boxes of lost letters, worn books and wilted
posters that bring to life black history in the Philadelphia region and the
nation.  Like a scavenger, he picks through papers one by one and indexes
documents for students and scholars. Without the meticulous effort of
archivists such as Gibson, many valuable documents would never be found.