Re: Help wanted.....

I was quite surprised last year when one of my RWA
(researchers with an attitude) came by (and I saw her
come in and though "Oh Lord!!")...and brought me
microfilm of some rare newspapers that an organization
she was with had "borrowed" from the friendly county
clerk and had filmed.    Remember, this was a patron
who, at one time, was so disgusted that we thought we
were going to have to call security to calm this person
down.

I believe daily more and more in the saying "Honey catches
the flies"... what we DO have to remember is that we should
be careful that the negative attitude of the researcher does
not prevent us from trying to help this person or calling their
attention to resources in our collections.

Our biggest problem here with RWAs is that whomever is
on duty, the RWA will say, "I'll talk to (insert other staff
member name) when they're in.  THEY will know what I
want."   Oh, and ain't it great to see the fuzzy, fourth-
generation photocopy and the person says, "Jimmy Jones
says this item is here, that he copied it with this here copy
way back when!"     That's one reason why today we try
to stamp photocopies or make copies of title pages of
materials as part of the photocopying process.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338