Re: Why do we stay with it?

Why do I stay with it?

Much of the same reasons why others do. I love working with historical
materials/objects. I enjoy the hunt & discovery of a person through their
belongings. I find fulfillment in helping researchers find what they are
looking for. I learn about new things all the time. I am challenged to grow
personally by giving presentations and networking - keeps me from getting
too comfy in my shell! :) I love the stories, the connections, the history
of 'old stuff'. I feel a sense of pride in knowing that I am helping to save
information for generations to come.

When going to school, I worked the typical 'get me through college' jobs
like K-Mart. Volunteering at the local historical society on my days off was
the high point of my summer. As much as I disliked my job at K-Mart, I
actually told my fiance (now hubby) that I would gladly work at K-Mart to
make ends meet as long as my main job was working with a historical society
or history museum! Luckily I found a full-time job & haven't had to go back
to K-Mart! :) (I did learn through my K-Mart experience how to smile & treat
customers grandly when they are threatening to attack me because their bread
rang up $.20 more than the sale paper said.) :)

Back to the subject, I love this work!!!!!!! I think I get so frustrated at
times because I love it so much & want to do my best.

Bridgette -- totally swamped with stuff to do & still loving it!

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680