Re: Why do we stay with it?

My reasons for sticking with it?  Pretty much the same as everybody's - in
my case, I dropped engineering like a hot potato after 1 year (whaddaya mean
I need calculus?) and headed for history, something I did for fun anyway.
Flash forward a few years, with graduate school coming and no real prospects
(or burning interest) in being an academic, and the Archives world looked
like a good fit - keep the history thing going while actually getting paid
for it.

I still think there's nothing better than that Eureka! moment of coming up
with the obscure answer to the obscure question - the patron is usually
delighted, and I always feel like I'm doing my job helping someone out.  Add
to that the hot & juicy gossip about people long- (or not so long-) dead,
which I for one always get a kick out of reading, and there's always
something new to wake me up in the middle of the day.

Most of all, it beats gettin' a real job.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu