Re: Access and Allies

I think specifying use is indeed a right of a donor.   The problem
is defining this use.   For example, if he says "students" does that
include elementary school age students?  Does it include people
who are in home schooling?   Does "student" have to be defined
as a full-time student?   Would that mean a person completing
their degree but only taking two rather than three courses, not
be full-time?

While I think a repository can observe a user's intent, this does
open the repository to legal liability in case a user believes the
repository has misinterpreted the donor's intent.   Also should
the person handling reference be a new person or a students,
there is a high possibility of accidentally ignoring the rule.

It would probably be even harder to justify accepting the
collection to university officials if it was highly restricted.
I would urge that it not be accepted or else the donor
educated more in the potential pitfalls this policy has for
the university.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338