Video Game Preservation

Hello List,

I am an archives student in the Graduate School of Library and Information
Science at the University of Texas at Austin, and I am doing a research on
the rather unusual topic of  the preservation of video games in archival
institutions.  The British Film Institute is one of the only major
institutions I have found that is actively preserving video games, and I
wondered if any other institutions out there include video games as part
of their collection.

If you do collect and/or preserve video games, please take a few minutes
to jot me a quick note about your collection.  You can write to me
privately at kristyk@gslis.utexas.edu, and I will compile the answers for
the list.  If you don't currently collect video games, but have considered
it in the past, let me know your reasons for not collecting this type of
material.

Some of my questions for those institutions working to preserve video
games include:

How do you arrange and describe the games?

What types of users access the games, and how is this access provided?

Do you also preserve paper-based material that would enrich the game
collection (documentation, advertisements, etc.)?

How large is the collection?

Under what conditions is the collection stored?

How do you actually go about preserving these games?

What is your collection policy on video games?

I'm sure that there are other pertinent questions to ask, and perhaps you
could provide me with further information on this topic.

Thank you for your help and excuse cross-postings,

Kristy Sorensen