Re: C&U archives authority

I have not yet (after two years) had an official designation of the archives as a final resting place for records. I was lucky in that a man who was a long-term board member (on and off from 1940s-1970s) donated his collection of materials from that work, which included a lot of board minutes, plus materials he collected when he was head of a committee to identify a new campus for the CIA in the 1960s.  Another man who was actiing president twice, and otherwise a high administrator also gave the archives a collection of material. This has help to flesh out the collection.

I am not pushing the idea of getting large amounts of materials into the archives because at the moment, the archives room is eight feet square, so I don't have a lot of space, although there are discussions of freeing up some space elsewhere in the building within the next two or three years.

For the time being, I am concentrating on collecting current materials that will later give insight into the history of the school, including things like the weekly bulletin, the financial aid bulletin, to stuen

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Liz Scott <ELIZABETH_SCOTT@SDSTATE.EDU> 04/10/01 02:39PM >>>
I am interested in hearing from other C&U archivists with NO formal
authority to collect university records (And little chance of getting any).
I am interested in learning more about how and what you collect and some
long term insight.

Elizabeth B. Scott
Archivist/Special Collections Librarian
Hilton M. Briggs Library