Re: C&U archives authority

So far, after two years as archivist, I have not received formal authority to collect the CIA's records. I am lucky in that a man who was an active board member for a good portion of the first thirty years of the CIA donated all the records he had collected in that time (board minutes, materials relating to the search in the 1960s for a new campus, etc.), and an administrator who had been acting president twice also donated some materials, so I have some original documents relating to the history of the CIA.

I have fleshed this out with CIA catalogs, magazines, student handbooks, annual reports, etc. I now try to collect anything current that will be useful in the future for people investigating the history of the school, ranging from weekly bulletins, student bulletins, financial aid newsletters, the student newspaper, viewbooks, annual reports, personnel handbooks, and so forth. We have an active e-mail system here, and I often print out for the archives copies of e-mails that have been sent to the entire staff (e.g., describing a program that will take place in the theatre, etc.). I keep my eyes open and pick up printed stuff that appears at various places on campus about activities that are going on.

I am not being as active as I might be in trying to get more records because the archives room is eight feet square, so I don't want to get too much! There is a possibility of freeing up some other space in the building in the next two or three years, and then I can look into acquiring other materials.

Periodically people who are retiring contact me and offer me some of their materials. Next week the library will be making a presentation to the department heads meeting and I will have some time to talk about the archives and encourage people to keep the archives in mind, and explain that things don't have to be old to be historical.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Liz Scott <ELIZABETH_SCOTT@SDSTATE.EDU> 04/10/01 02:39PM >>>
I am interested in hearing from other C&U archivists with NO formal
authority to collect university records (And little chance of getting any).
I am interested in learning more about how and what you collect and some
long term insight.