Re: Nicholson Baker

Nicholson Baker has found a franchise -- bashing
libraries, supposedly for their own good.  One only
need look at UCITA, the latest copyright law
revisions,
the rapidly shifting information landscape with the
tremendous possibilities and profits and pitfalls
available, and realize libraries are going to have to
change if they are to stay viable.

As a person who believes in free and/or low cost
library services wherever possible, the last thing
libraries need is a Nicholson Baker trying to drag
them back into the 19th century right now.  Libraries
are in the process of reinventing themselves (I hate
the word but it's shorthand for a concept we all know
about.)

Mr. Baker might be a "fine novelist" who considers
himself a friend of libraries but it is some mythical
library he imagines he remembers from his youth.

Judy Turner
Director, Library and Archives
Milwaukee Public Museum