Re: Shelving units for storing newspapers

The Cartoon Research Library at Ohio State has a collection of early
20th-century bound newspapers, which are kept in the university's book
depository, on solid metal shelving.  We're very happy with this
arrangement.  The depository manager told me there is another type of
shelving, metal with holes punched in it, which she has discussed with the
people at the Harvard Book Depository.  She told me: "It is true that the
holes or slats in the shelving provide for better air circulation for the
materials, but another reason for the shift in going to this type of
shelving is that more facilities are now adding sprinkler systems in their
storage areas.  I think the idea is that with the perforated shelves the
water might more easily soak through the shelves to smolder any
fire."  Maybe the Harvard Book Depository can give you additional information.

Wire seems like a bad choice for bound newspapers.  It could lead to
abrasion of the materials when they are being pulled off and put back on
the shelves.

Amy McCrory
Project Archivist
Cartoon Research Library