Re: Baker

I did not mean to turn the discussion into this, so please accept my apologizes.  I agree that every medium has its challenges, but I assumed, maybe wrongly, that most of our patrons find microfilm particularly difficult and tedious to use.  That assumption was based on the complaints I've heard over the years from patrons and the difficulty I have had using microfilmed sources myself.  I have heard few complaints about digitized records, particularly when search functionality has been added.

That said, I know of no survey that would prove my point.  But I'd love to see one published, which gets me back to my original point: we need to more information about patrons' needs, wants, how they access information, what access tools are the most effective, what kinds of source documents/publications (and in what format) are most useful to them, etc.  Since Baker is one of our most prominent patrons, maybe we can learn something from him.  I, for one, feel I have a lot to learn, that I am not immune from making mistakes when it comes to microfilming, appraising, etc.  If a knowledgeable patron can provide me with insightful information maybe with a tad bit of criticism, once I get over that urge to lash out, I hope to use that information wisely.

Heather

>> Tom Anderson <tanderson@AMSE.ORG> 04/19/01 03:20PM >>>
I can't say as I find microfilm research any more tedious than online research, or pouring through piles of books, and I must say it's certainly easier to handle than oversized, fragile newsprint.  Not to mention it's easier to get a copy of the article I want compared to trying to photocopy the pertinent articles out of a paper.  And you're right, it *is* better to have microfilm than nothing at all.

Tom Anderson
American Museum of Science and Energy

-----Original Message-----
From: Heather Willever-Farr <hwillever-farr@MAIL.ACPONLINE.ORG>
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2001 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ARCHIVES] Baker

I didn't think anyone would question that microfilm and most microfilm readers can make research incredibly tedious.  Though, I did think someone might say something like: "well, it's better to have microfilm than nothing at all..."

Heather Willever-Farr
Electronic Records Archivist
American College of Physicians - American Society of Internal Medicine
190 N. Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572
hwillever-farr@mail.acponline.org
(w) 215-351-2470