genealogy 101

Dear Colleagues:

        I have been asked to teach an all day workshop called Genealogy 101:
An Introduction to American Genealogy for Archivist, Librarians, and Records
Administrators as part of the Society of American Archivists pre-conference
series on August 27, 2001 in Washington, DC.
        I have been providing research services to genealogists for the past
30 years plus. However, I would like some impute from those of my colleagues
who also provide these services. I know that "war stories" from the Reading
and Research rooms across the country are endless. I may want some of these
later. However, now I need your comments on the following question:

        "If you were teaching a class about genealogical research and
genealogical researchers to "new" archivist, librarians, or records
administrators, what would be the more important components of this field
that the new student needs to take home with him/her"?
        In other words, what do you wish you had known before your first day
in the genealogical reading room!!

P. S. If you would like more information on this workshop, visit the SAA
website at www.archivists.org and click on Educational Seasonal Schedule.

Thanks,

Russell P. Baker, CA
Arkansas History Commission and State Archives
One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
501-682-6900
russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us <mailto:russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us>