Re: RAIN 5/10: Burst Pipe Inundates NASA Photo Archives

One thing we have done at the Maine State Archives following our own
flooding this spring is to cover the tops of all of our shelving with
overhanging (a few inches) thick plastic so that water from ther floor(s)
above cannot work its way down into the stacks, but must fall to the floor.
We also are pushing as many items as possible inside the "lips" of the
shelves so that they do not stick out to intercept dripping or flowing
water.  Thirdly, we are no longer storing any material on top of the stacks
and any material left on tables in our storage areas will be covered with
overhanging plastic until it is put away.  Pallets are being used for
material that in the past sat on the floor.

All done, of course, after the horse left the barn.  However, we did have a
disaster plan which was put into effect (procedures and materials), and it
greatly reduced the potential problems and helped us to focus on recovery
priorities.

Art (Once Again "Waders of the Lost Archives") Dostie

Maine State Archives