Re: RAIN 5/10: Burst Pipe Inundates NASA Photo Archives

Seared into my memory is the day we moved into our temporary
quarters, at the very start of a big move during renovations of the
building about four years ago.  We arrived first thing in the morning
to move the reference collection into the temporary desk area to find
water cascading out of the ceiling; as we dashed around trying to
cover things up and move stuff out of the way, here came three little
old ladies to do their geneaology; I remember thinking all we need is
for one of them to slip on the wet floor and break something.  We
had, at the insistence of library admin., stayed open during the
move.  I kept sheets of plastic over the photo collections the whole
time we were over there; I guess the library admin. was shaken by
the near-disaster, too, as when we moved back over a year or so
later, they let us close for six weeks!

In our case it's the same; we're on the top floor, water pipes criss-
cross the ceiling over us, and if there are any problems with the roof
we know about them first (that's what the above-described problem
was, work on the roof that went bad).  As someone said, have a
disaster plan, keep rolls of plastic handy, and be ready to act fast!

Roy

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections