Using Horizon to describe archival records

Recently I changed jobs and am now a corporate archivist and involved in the
mental aerobics of forgetting government and learning corporate approaches.
Currently, the corporate archives uses Access to track its holdings.  Under
a new company policy to increase company-wide awareness and use of the
archives a decision was made to convert the archive's Access records to the
company library cataloging system, Horizon, and have it replace Access for
the future.  (The library catalog is available on the company Intranet, the
archives Access database was not.)  I have some questions about date
searching using Horizon.  Does anyone use Horizon and would talk about
adapting it for archival purposes?

Thanks!!
Ken House
Weyerhaeuser Company Archives